Single parent dating hualapai arizona
The British soon constructed the King's Road connecting St. The British government gave land grants to officers and soldiers who had fought in the French and Indian War in order to encourage settlement.
In order to induce settlers to move to Florida, reports of its natural wealth were published in England.
Furthermore, the British governors were directed to call general assemblies as soon as possible in order to make laws for the Floridas and in the meantime they were, with the advice of councils, to establish courts.
This would be the first introduction of much of the English-derived legal system which Florida still has today including trial by jury, habeas corpus and county-based government.
In 1559, Don Tristán de Luna y Arellano established a settlement at present-day Pensacola, making it the first attempted settlement in Florida, but it was mostly abandoned by 1561. Augustine (San Agustín) was established under the leadership of admiral and governor Pedro Menéndez de Avilés, creating what would become the oldest European settlement in the continental U. and establishing the first generation of Floridanos and the government of Florida.
Spain maintained tenuous control over the region by converting the local tribes to Christianity.
Spain built the Castillo de San Marcos in 1672 and Fort Matanzas in 1742 to defend Florida's capital city from attacks, and to maintain its strategic position in the defense of the Captaincy General of Cuba and the Spanish West Indies.It was part of a large expansion of British territory following their victory in the Seven Years' War.A large portion of the Floridano population left, taking along most of the remaining indigenous population to Cuba. Johns River at a narrow point, which the Seminole called Wacca Pilatka and the British named "Cow Ford", both names ostensibly reflecting the fact that cattle were brought across the river there.The earliest known European explorers came with the Spanish conquistador Juan Ponce de León.Ponce de León spotted and landed on the peninsula on April 2, 1513.